Some of you may know I just recently traveled to Denver, Colorado. In preparation for the trip, I reached out and asked for an endless amount of recommendations and you guys did not disappoint (THANK YOU)!! I figured I’d summarize the list below, share with you some of our adventures, which lets be honest, mostly revolved around food and drink since Justin was on crutches the entire time!
Let’s start with my favorite…
Just BE Kitchen: LOVED this place so much, we came back for seconds. 100% PALEO friendly, CLEAN ingredients, EVERYTHING is Gluten, Grain-Free, and Refined-Sugar Free, FRIENDLY staff, CUTE sit-down atmosphere, AMAZING COFFEE.
Highlights: There are plenty of meat options for those who like their meat! That being said, vegetarians would do just fine here as well with plenty of veggie & egg options!
- I however, went with the “Wonder” Seasonal Veggie Bowl (SEASONAL VEGGIE, ALMOND GREMOLATA, POACHED EGG). Extremely filling bowl (I had leftovers both days).
- Justin got the “Fulfilled” Burrito on the first day and literally said it was the BEST burrito he’s ever had (which is saying something since he loves his Chipotle burrito’s). Ingredients include: SCRAMBLED EGGS, SAUSAGE,‘CHEDDAR WIZ’ (vegan cheese), PALEO TORTILLA, CRISPY SWEET POTATO HASH, PORK OR VEGGIE GREEN CHILI, CILANTRO, SCALLION, JALAPENO
- Justin also tried the “Simplicity” Egg Sandwich (2 EGGS, CRISPY SWEET POTATO HASH, BACON OR SAUSAGE PATTY, TORTILLA OR GRIDDLED HOUSE BUN) Also LOVED this
- “Lifted” Chia Seed Yogurt + their homemade grain-free granola & fresh blueberries – smaller portion, so Justin and I split it to balance out our savory dishes. Their granola is ON POINT.
COFFEE Highlights (yes, we tried 4 different flavors and yes, they were all amazing):
- Maple Cinnamon Butter Bullet-Proof Coffee (grass-fed butter, maple syrup, MCT oil, cinnamon): absolutely amazing. Literally tastes like a really “naughty” cinnamon bun yet all ingredients are 100% clean. HIGHLY Recommend.
- Mocha Bullet-Proof Coffee (grass-fed butter, MCT oil, cocoa, coconut milk, honey): if you’re a chocolate lover, this one is for YOU. We both liked the maple cinnamon butter slightly more, but this still ranked an 8/10!
- Vanilla Sea Salt Latte (coconut milk, vanilla, salt, 2 espresso shots): LOVED this one (so much, that I’ve been replicating it at home). Right up my alley. Simple, clean ingredients. So airy and light, plus the perfect balance of sweet & salty.
- Lavender Clover Honey Latte (lavender, clover honey, almond milk, 2 espresso shots): Shocker…another WINNER. Again, no complaints here. Simply delish! Perfect amount of lavender (not overwhelming at all). So comforting on a chilly morning.
Vital Roots: great recommendation for healthy eats in the Denver area. We enjoyed their breakfast menu very much! Again, super friendly & helpful service, super clean menu options, cool atmosphere/decor inside, and great fast-casual healthy option! Menu items are “98% grain-free, 99% vegan, and 100% gluten-free”.
Highlights: We only ate here for breakfast, though the menu for lunch and dinner looks fab as well! Only complain would be that we wish the portion sizes were slightly bigger 🙂
- “Everything Bagel” Avocado Toast (Sunflower Seed Bread, Crispy Chickpeas, Smoked Almonds & Date Molasses add Sunny Side Up Egg) // SO tasty and the flavor combos were on POINT. Your taste buds will dance for joy between all the unique flavors that explode in one bite.
- The Overnight Oats (Coconut Almond Milk, Cashews, Vanilla, Maple, Five-Seed Mix & Fruit) // always a great go-to option and these oats certainly did not disappoint. SO creamy and the seed mix added the perfect sweet & salty crunch.
- PLENTY of coffee options available, including BULLET-PROOF!
Happy Leaf Kombucha: another recommendation I received and am SO so happy we made it here at the very end of our trip! It is a little off the beaten path, but if you have a rental car, it is absolutely worth the drive. Such a unique experience going to (my VERY first) Kombucha TAP ROOM. This was a nice change of scenery after all of the breweries haha. Super spacious, open, airy tap room. Long wooden tables inside, large walls that open to the outdoor area which is perfect on a mild, fall day. Also includes outdoor grass area with lawn games. Lastly, I noticed a sign for yoga happy hour & kombucha. Would be cool to plan around this NEXT time!
Now for the highlights:
- KOMBUCHA was DELISH. I got the Orange Basil (really unique flavor, the fresh basil balanced out the citrus orange). Justin got the Cranberry Lavender (again, super delicious, a sweeter option (they do add cane sugar after the fermentation), the lavender is not overwhelming, perfect balance to the cran). Overall, the BOOCH was a 9/10. Highly recommend.
- For food, I got the Veggie “Sandwich” (house made apple-carrot kraut, sunflower sprouts, kale pesto, dijonaise / NO bread, served on a bed of greens instead + side of sautéed greens w/ lemon & chili. This was the perfect salad to go along with the booch. And TBH, I REALLY needed a hearty, gut-friendly salad by the end of this trip. LOL.
- Justin got the “Albondigas de Bison Torta” (mexican spiced local bison meatballs, fiery chili sauce, spicy pickled carrots, melted provolone, fresh cilantro) // he devoured this. AKA NO COMPLAINTS for him. PS it’s always a WIN in my book when I choose a healthy restaurant and he loves it. Anyone else struggle with convincing others to come try a new healthy restaurant with you?!
True Food Kitchen: Ahhh another favorite of mine and so happy to have made it here in Denver before our flight took off on Sunday night. I first tried True Food while I was living in Palo Alto, CA. This place is the ULTIMATE healthy SIT-DOWN restaurant with a cozy, fresh atmosphere, open kitchen (love when restaurants do this = TRANSPARENCY), clean cocktails, and plenty of options for literally ANYONE.
Highlights: Justin and I split the apps and our dinners. LOVE doing this so that we can try more of the menu itemss!
- Charred cauliflower (harissa tahini, medjool date, dill, mint, pistachio)
- Kale Guacamole (pink grapefruit, cilantro, roasted poblano, sunflower seeds & pita chips) // both of which were AMAZING! We especially loved the flavors in the guac. I’d recommend splitting a few apps since the entrees aren’t overly filling.
- Teriyaki Quinoa Bowl (broccoli, heirloom carrot, bok choy, mushroom, brown rice, avocado, toasted sesame) + Tofu // this was super yummy but wasn’t my favorite dish of the night. 7/10
- Poke Bowl (wild caught albacore, avocado, quinoa rice, mushroom, snow pea, cucumber, cashew, turmeric ponzu) // we both LOVED this. Again, very light, cool, and refreshing.
Other EATS/Foodie Recommendations:
- Amethyst Coffee // LOVED their matcha latte (homemade cashew milk). They also had turmeric lattes, seasonal lattes, chia pudding,
etc. Decor inside was very chic. Plants, white, and crystals. // Address: 1111 Broadway #101, Denver, CO 80203
- Stowaway Coffee & Kitchen // // REALLY cute spot, GREAT lattes (homemade cashew milk), friendly spot, menu looked DELISH though I didn’t eat there. // Address: 2528 Walnut St, Denver, CO 80205
- Olive & Finch
- Beet Box Donuts (vegan baked goods)
- Native Foods
- Protein Bar
- El Five // wasn’t able to get a reservation here, but looked cool! // mediterranean style tapas, 360 views of city, cool atmosphere
- Element Kitchen & Cocktail // cool brunch spot to watch the football games on Sunday. Not a ton of vegetarian options but I was able to get a plate with eggs, sweet potato hash, gluten-free bread, and avocado. Also was able to watch the Patriots game 🙂
- Hedge Row – menu looks AMAZING but you NEED to make a reservation. We weren’t able to get in.
- Senor Bear // another one we weren’t able to get to, but again, menu looks dope. Modern Latin spin on food and drinks.
- Denver Central Market // didn’t get to check out, but diverse group of vendors. Located in RiNo neighborhood.
- South Pearl Street Farmers Market // located on s. pearl street on Sunday’s (starts at 9am). Healthy Breakfast Food truck highlights included Ba-NOM-a-NOM (soft-served banana “nice cream”), Prosper Oats (acai bowls, overnight oatmeal, coffee), and a number of other hand-crafted & speciality food vendors. Would def recommend stopping by!
- American Cultures Kombucha TapRoom – BOOCH and Vegan Ice cream…what’s better?!
- Tea Bar Denver – Kombucha, lots of Tea and Coffee Options
- Beau Jos Pizza (located in Idaho Springs. Not many food options here and splurged a bit with Pizza) I got the gluten-free crust + sauce + veggies // very delish!
Breweries: (NOTE: we didn’t make it to all of these, not even half haha but I wanted to share since they were recommendations)
- Ratio Beerworks: 2920 Larimer St, Denver, CO 80205 (LOVED this spot. Cool outdoor patio w/ lawn games)
- First Draft – right down the street from us, RiverNorth (recommended – cool brewery where you pour your own beer + really good food)
- New Terrain Brewing Co. – 16401 Table Mountain Pkwy, Golden, CO 80403
- Briar Common – 2298 N Clay St, Denver, CO 80211
- New Image Brewing – 5622 Yukon St, Arvada, CO 80002
- 10 Barrel Brewing Company – 2620 Walnut Street Denver, Colorado 80205, Denver, CO
- Bierstadt Lagerhaus – 2875 Blake St, Denver, CO 80205
- Bruz Beers – 1675 W 67th Ave #100, Denver, CO 80221
- Larimer beer hall – 2012 larimer st Denver co 80205
- Great divide brewery – 2201 arapahoe st Denver co 80205
-Spent a lot of time in the RiNo area (cool, hipster(y) neighboorhood, ~ 15/20 min walk from Coors Field area). Lots of breweries and funky bars here.
– 16 Street Mall (lots of chain stores, but good people watching)
– Visit the Botanical Gardens. We got lucky with the weather as the sun was shining and the time of year was ideal for all of the plants. So Beautiful!!
– Check out the ORIGINAL CorePower Yoga on East 13th Ave. This was the perfect place to get a quick workout in while the boys continued to drink beers all day at the Beer Fest HAHA.
– Try and catch a show at Red Rocks. We saw Big Gigantic and it far exceeded my expectations. The HYPE at Red Rocks is 110% REAL. Hands down most amazing venue I’ve ever been to. PS we stayed at an airbnb in Littleton, CO (10 mins from the venue). Highly recommend so you don’t need to worry about driving home. Also, gives you the morning to explore.
– While in Littleton, CO, I got up early and went for a beautiful trail run at South Valley Park.
Overall, the trip was A LOT of fun. The weather was perfect. Would have loved to explore more, but given the circumstances (i.e. torn ACL for Justin), we weren’t able to hike. Hopefully our next trip out there we can explore more of Colorado!
PS if you have any questions on airbnbs, car rentals, locations, food/drink spots, etc. — comment below or email me directly!