For today’s blog post I wanted to share with you my latest recipe for my gluten-free banana-blueberry-oat pancakes. I don’t know about you, but I find myself struggling to re-create that perfect pancake consistency. You know what kind I’m talking about – that good old box of bisquick pancakes that we used to devour as children every Sunday. I kid you not, my dad would make these every Sunday and it was as if it was a food eating competition to see who could take down the most pancakes – me vs. golden retriever(s) vs. rest of the family. I’d say we usually peaked around 20 or so cakes, yet somehow still managed to not blow up like a balloon! I digress..
I find this recipe to be reminiscent of those pancake eating Sunday’s. I swear you wouldn’t know the difference between these and ones loaded with sugar and butter. What makes this recipe also ideal is that the prep is under 10 minutes!! I swear. So here’s the quick and dirty on the pancake recipe…
Serving Size ~ 6-8 medium size cakes
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 TBSP of ground chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1/2 a large ripe banana (I used a little over a 1/2)
- 1/4 unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 1 cage-free egg
- Optional: Blueberries
- 1 TBSP Fourth & Heart Madagascar Vanilla Bean Ghee (coconut oil or butter can be a substitute)
- You’ll also need a food processor and non-stick pan!
In a food processor blend the following ingredients: oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and the chia or flax seeds. Once those ingredients are well blended into powder form, transfer it to a larger bowl. Next add in your 1 egg, 1/2 ripe banana (it may help to smash this in the bowl before hand so that it’s easier to mix), and the almond milk. Mix these ingredients well so that it forms a thicker batter.
Meanwhile, begin to warm up your pan. I usually cook my pancakes on medium/low heat (~ 5-7). You can add your TBSP of ghee (I swear this is a life changer with pancakes – SO TASTY). Next using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop your batter out and form about 6-8 medium size pancakes. Then add blueberries to each pancake if you’d like. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Typically the batter will start to slowly bubble, at which point check the bottom of the cake to see that it’s a golden brown.
Optional toppings could be…
- more fruit like blueberries, raspberries, and bananas
- bee pollen
- goji berries
- cacao nibs or dairy-free chocolate chips (enjoy life is my fave brand)!
- organic maple syrup
- Blueberry “sauce” (simply warm up 2 TBSP of frozen blueberries in a microwave save dish for about 30 – 45 seconds for a sauce/syrup like consistency to pour over pancakes
- organic almond butter or peanut butter
- unsweetened shredded coconut flakes